New regulations on entering Slovenia, 29 September 2020
In a view of the assessment of the epidemiological situation in the EU Member States, the Schengen Area countries, the Balkan countries and the selected third countries, the assessment of the epidemiological situation in countries and the European Commission's recommendation Re-open EU, and the definition of the criterion for a worsening epidemiological situation and the epidemiological trends in the cumulative 14-day incidence per 100,000 people prepared by the National Institute of Public Health, the Government has assessed the expert justification of the restrictions laid down in the Ordinance on imposing and implementing measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 at the external border crossings and at control points at the internal borders of the Republic of Slovenia and decided that these restrictions will continue to apply.
With regard to Hungary, the areas designated as currently presenting an increased risk of infection with SARS-CoV are the city of Budapest and Győr-Moson-Sopron County. These two areas have been put on the red list.
A person entering Slovenia who has residence in a country or in the part of the country that is on the red or orange list or arrives from such a country or part of the country will be required to quarantine for a period of ten days due to possible SARS-CoV-2 infection. However, a person will not be required to quarantine if, on crossing the border, they submit a negative SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) test, which must not be older than 48 hours and was performed in another EU Member State or Schengen Area country or in Slovenia.
The exceptions to the quarantine and negative test requirements upon entry from any of the countries on the red or orange list. Entry from any country on the red or orange list is allowed to the following persons:
1. Daily commuting cross-border workers who have an employment relationship in another EU Member State or Schengen Area country, of which they provide proof or a signed statement justifying the reason for crossing the border as a daily commuting cross-border worker;
2. Persons posted to carry out tasks in international transport or returning from such tasks;
3. Persons engaged in trade who carry out the transport of goods or persons into Slovenia or from Slovenia or carry out the transport of goods and passengers in transit and exit Slovenia within 12 hours of entry;
4. Persons transiting the territory of Slovenia and exiting Slovenia within 12 hours of entry;
5. Persons with diplomatic passports;
6. Members of foreign delegations who are entering Slovenia on the basis of a certificate or an official invitation from a competent state authority or members of an official delegation of Slovenia who are returning from abroad;
7. Representatives of foreign security authorities (the police or a judicial authority) who carry out official tasks and exit Slovenia as soon as possible after completing these tasks;
8. Members of the Slovenian Armed Forces, the police or employees of state authorities returning from secondment abroad and employees of state authorities on a business trip abroad (they are required to test for SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) upon entering Slovenia);
9. Persons who cross the border (daily or occasionally) for reasons of education and training or scientific research in Slovenia or abroad and provide appropriate proof thereof and their parents or other persons transported by them who return across the border within 24 hours of entry;
10. Persons who cross the border due to urgent unavoidable personal errands or for urgent business reasons and provide appropriate proof thereof and who return across the border in the shortest possible time required for completing the errand and in any case no later than within 48 hours of crossing the border (this also applies to their immediate family members);
11. Persons who have been transported to Slovenia in an ambulance or other medical vehicle and the accompanying medical staff in said vehicle;
12. Persons who provide proof of a scheduled urgent medical examination or procedure in another EU Member State or Schengen Area country and return across the border immediately after the medical examination or procedure or as soon as their medical condition allows (accompanied by their attendant when that is absolutely necessary due to their medical condition).
An example of appropriate proof of urgent unavoidable errands referred to in point 10 would be court decisions or other similar acts by which a person exercises their right to have contact with their children.
Persons with a laissez-passer travel document issued by an international organisation and with an invitation or certificate issued by a state authority of the Republic of Slovenia proving that they are visiting Slovenia for business purposes are treated the same as holders of diplomatic passports (point 5).
Entry from neighbouring countries regardless of whether they are on the orange or red list is allowed to the following persons (no quarantine will be imposed):
1. Persons who own or lease land in the border area or on both sides of the state border and cross the state border with a neighbouring country for the purpose of carrying out agricultural and forestry works (this also applies to their immediate family members);
2. Slovenian citizens or foreigners residing in Slovenia who own real estate or a habitable recreational craft in a neighbouring country or have the right to use real estate, a habitable recreational craft or a plot in a recreational vehicle park in a neighbouring country from which they are entering Slovenia under a leasing, rental or other agreement, and provide appropriate proof thereof, if they are returning to Slovenia within 48 hours of exiting (this also applies to their immediate family members);
3. Persons who assist a Slovenian citizen or a foreigner residing in Slovenia who owns or leases agricultural land in a neighbouring country in the seasonal harvesting of agricultural products, and provide appropriate proof thereof, if they return across the border within 24 hours of exiting Slovenia.